Informal Feedback from the Patients Group meeting held earlier today
(Weds 18th May @ 5.00pm)
With a table strewn with drinks, fruit pies, crisps and fresh fruit, and with tea and coffee available (if you know who to ask!) We gathered in the seminar room at the Centre. The Centre itself was represented by all levels, Doctors, Managers, Medical Practitioners and staff.
There was one major problem though. Just before the meeting was due to start, the heavens opened up, and the rain came down. Sadly there weren’t many patients tough enough to face the downpour, but as a couple did, we went ahead anyway.Who was going to fight through this lot?
When you think about it, the fact that few patients attended is a compliment to the Practice, as, if there were massive problems hundreds would have turned up!
For the first time we had a real agenda, which, as usual was made flexible (no – not made of plastic!), but we still covered every item.
Once settled, we were given a copy of a booklet on Patient Participation Groups, produced by the Royal College of General Practitioners of Northern Ireland for our later perusal.
At a quick glance, you could see that we were well on the way to meeting the standards set out in the booklet, and we saw a lot which we could adopt to improve our own group.
We then went on to review the minutes of the last meeting (see – I said we were bending the agenda!). These included:
- This Blog. We need to see how we can let more patients aware of the site, and how we can further incorporate the site with a virtual PPG which we will look at forming.
- Children Running Around Uncontrolled. New signs are being arranged to encourage parents to take more responsibilities for the behaviour of their children. They are also looking at improving the childrens activity area, but must be careful how this is done to prevent cross-contamination.
- Toilet Supplies. A new service has now taken over the job of ensuring the cleanliness and provision of supplies for all toilets.
- Morning Appointment Calls. A brand new phone system is about to be introduced to the practice which will help prevent the call queues at 8.30am, as well as during the day. You should all notice the difference once it’s introduced.
- Extend Calling Screens Display Times. This has been done, and so it is now easier for patients to see where they have to go. (But there is still no voice!)
- Patients Updates on Service Changes. Measures will be used to increase awareness of services available via the website, blogsite, handouts, text messaging and other systems.
We then discussed methods of increasing attendance of patients at these meetings. The possibility of changing the time or day was considered, as well as ways of letting people know about the existance of the PPG. It was agreed to hold the next meeting as planned, and review the feedback gathered in the meantime.
As we had covered most subjects already, and there was no other business, the meeting closed around 5.50pm.
It’s amazing what you can get done in 50 minutes!
If you would like to take part in the next PPG meeting, it is scheduled for Wednesday 29th June 2016 at 5.00pm
NOTE FROM Mr BLOGGY:
It would be appreciated if you could indicate how much you like any of my articles by using the 5 star measure below (1=Terrible, 5=Great), and if you are a fellow blogger, a click on the ‘Like’ box below would be appreciated.
If you wish to comment on any article, please use the Comment heading near the top of the page.